Friday, October 20, 2006

Gorgeous Riding and A Few Targets...

October riding in the Taipei mountains- it doesn't get much better than this... I've been enjoying the early morning Bryson rides (5 am at TAS on Wednesdays and Fridays). It's hard not to ride every day- I have to force myself to take a rest day!

Rock and I are joining Craig and Melissa out in Shuangxi tomorrow morning for a 5-40-5 km duathalon. I registered under the mistaken impression that Rock could do the running legs and I could ride. As I haven't run since 1999, this should be an interesting event...

If my legs aren't toast, I'd like to do Helen's Sunday morning. 7 am at TAS followed by a coffee at the top? Curt, Chris, Dave and I had a very nice time up there last weekend.

I can't imagine that anyone is having trouble finding the motivation to ride with the weather as perfect as this, but there are some events coming up in November that you may want to consider:

Saturday, November 11th:

There is a 50 km road race somewhere in Taipei County. I don't know much about it, but I will post more information when I find out.

Sunday, November 12th:

Elspeth's Hill Climb. This 4 km gradual climb is a perfect first race. I believe Leon, Dave, and Reedus all cut their racing teeth here. The course is on the Google Earth file linked at right- it's just past the National Palace Museum. There are road bike and mountain bike races and age categories. It is a very relaxed event. Registration is 100 NT- money goes to Sean at the bike shop. Race day registration is usually allowed but costs a bit more.

Saturday, November 18th:

Ali Shan Race.


This is the final event in the club championship series. Registration is 500 NT and closes October 25th. An application is available at http://www.cyclist.org.tw.

Leon and I will be heading down Friday evening. We're in the process of looking for a hotel- if you know a good one, let us know!

Saturday, November 25th:

120 km Yangmingshan Challenge. Start at base of Satellites. Climb to Buffalo Meadows. Descend to Jinshan. Ride over to last March's North Coast Race finish and climb to Helen's. Descend to Satellites. Climb to Buffalo Meadows. Collapse.

I'm not quite sure how this event will run. It's not a race, but I've been told that all riders get a card that they punch along the way to keep track of their times.

I turn 35 on Friday- should be a great ride.

I'll post more information as I get it.


Have a great weekend out there in the hills!

Bill

No comments: